Saturday, January 2, 2010

The story of our Christmas baby...

It's long and not the best piece of writing I've done due to the fact it was written during the time of night when most people are sleeping...

Christmas Morning...
At 2 a.m. I was woken up by my contractions. I fell back asleep without a problem and slept between the contractions until about 3 a.m. That's when I came to my senses and realized what was happening. I woke Chris up and asked him to start getting things ready and to take Evie to his parents who were staying at our neighbor's flat. He wondered why we needed to take Evie and I reminded him that I didn't want her to wake up in the middle of my labour. So, he got Evie sorted at his parents, hung balloons out front so the midwifes could find our house, and brought down the towels. Meanwhile, I started to time the contractions and they were already 2 to 3 minutes apart. I rang the midwife and tried to get things ready downstairs between the contractions. Needless to say, I wasn't getting much accomplished other than getting from one contraction to the next. I did manage to get out my medical papers, the tens machine, and snacks for the midwifes. The first midwife, Odette, arrived at about 4:15 a.m. Chris helped her bring in her supplies and they figured out the best places for them in our house. I stayed on the couch and focused on breathing. Chris started the oil burner with lavendar and brought me some Bach's Flower Remedy with water. At that point, I needed him to stay with me and he did. The midwife suggested for me to lean on the birth ball during contractions. I was managing well for a while with only breathing. Chris was so encouraging with his words and massaging my shoulders and feet. I'm not sure what time things changed a bit, but the contractions suddenly became stronger and were not as easy to breath through. This is when someone (don't remember who) suggested I use the Tens machine. I had totally forgotten about it after I brought it out earlier. Odette helped Chris find the perfect position for it on my back. The relief was incredible. It brought me back to where I had been earlier and I continued with clear focus and breathing. Finally, Odette decided it was time to examine me. It must have been close to 6 a.m. She was surprised to find that I was already 8 cm dilated! She immediately called the other midwife, Teresa, because of my quick progression. After the exam, I sat up. Chris asked if I wanted to get in the pool. The contractions were coming on very strong and I could not make a decision. He offered gas and air, and again the pool. I just said, "I don't know. I don't know." Then I had a contraction that was very different from the others and began to feel an urge to push. There was no time to get in the pool, but I was able to move to the plastic under it. The intensity increased rapidly and my water broke. I was on all fours, which was my preferred position to deliver out of the pool. However, after a few minutes my fingers began to go numb because of the pressure I was putting on them. My knees were also unstable and slipping on the tarp, so Odette suggested I lean on the ball. I knew that wouldn't work because it was too bouncy and rolling. It was not the time to be strengthening my core! So, I tried leaning on Chris, but I was distorting his body into too many strange and unnatural positions. Finally, I shifted to leaning over the pool. It was firm and stable, but with soft, cushy edges. Throughout all these changing positions, I was doing my best to push the baby out, convince that he wasn't coming. The pain was so intense and I really believed it wasn't going to end. I was hot and thirsty, but could not communicate anything but that it hurt. Chris continued to encourage me and was always right by my side. By this time, Teresa had arrived. It was as if she read my mind. I knew she was there when a cool damp cloth wiped my face and neck. Heaven. A few more pushes and Canaan was passed into my hands at 6:40 a.m. My first thought - he looks like his dad. I held him briefly, but was still kneeling near the pool. I had so much trouble relaxing and couldn't move without the help of the midwifes. The next few minutes are somewhat of a blur. I remember sitting on the plastic tarp, holding Canaan awkwardly because I hadn't delivered the placenta, yet. Chris cut the cord. The placenta was delivered and surprisingly didn't gross me out. The midwifes stitched me up while I inhaled the gas and air. That's when I was finally able to totally relax. They were joking about how much I liked the stuff, but when I wouldn't continue to breath it, they'd make sure to remind to keep taking it. Chris was holding Canaan on the futon, taking pictures of their first moments together. Finally, I was laying on the couch, holding my baby boy.

1 comment:

scruffylooking said...

Awesome, Jess. Thanks for sharing that. God is good.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...